Friday 14 September 2012

Here am I: Anyone listening?

Today in my daily facebook trolling, the subject of books came up, and which book had changed your life. After sharing mine, I found myself with my mind on books, reading, literature, etc. Not that books are ever far from my mind, but rather the idea of reading and what it has meant to me over the years was percolating in my mind. Then, in my shower (the mother of my invention, generally!) I was hit with the idea: Book Blog! I've been wanting to blog for a while, and even tried it years ago, but was worried about finding ideas for posts. When it was simply a general "this is my life" diary style blog, I definitely did not keep up with it. However, to blog with a general topic in mind has potential, and reading is a never-ending subject with me!

So, here am I. Here to share what I'm currently reading, have read, thoughts on the written word, genres, likes and dislikes, formats, etc. I am a true bibliophile, the smell of a new book as intoxicating to me as many a stronger substance, the written word being life to me. If I do not have a book at hand to fill an empty moment, the moment feels just that way: empty. I also realize that reading in community is more fulfilling than simply devouring the material on my own. Book clubs intrigue me, but I don't have the time to commit to one, and my own husband (though I love him dearly) is not a reader. Gasp! Yes, it hurts to say that, but reading for pleasure is not something he enjoys. Therefore, when wanting to share my thoughts on what I read, home is not an option. It's not even that I want to analyze as in an English class. Sometimes I just want to simply revel in a well written book, a scene that thrills me, or a story that inspires me.

Enter some of my friends that I've met over the years with similar literary tastes. Among them is a fellow pastor's wife with a passion for Tolkein and JK Rowling, a fellow mom whose book club I live vicariously through by creeping on their selections through her, and a young lady study the Romantic era of Austen and Bronte. While not actively discussing the books, their recommendations have led me down other literary avenues I might otherwise have left alone. As I thought of these, and others, who have inspired my reading list, I wondered if there was a more informal way to share my love of the written word than an actual club. Enter blogging!

I do like to write, not stories, since dialogue is not my forte, but I have enjoyed scribbling down a few poems that will most likely never see the light of day. If I get brave, I may eventually share them here (don't hold your breath). Journal-type entries, and newsletter type articles come more naturally to me, and sarcastic wit is often an asset here. So, I am hoping that this blog will help me vent some of my book-love, but I also desire an interactive experience. Please share your own thoughts, stories, and love here! Let's geek out on books together!

One final note: I am very new to how blogging works. If you're one of my blogging friends, PLEASE offer hints and tips for how to make this better! I hope I can make this relatively painless, but if I mess up in any formatting, etc. I apologize. Please bear with me!

Next post: how I became a reader, what types of books I love, and what I'm currently reading.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, you've got me hooked! Especially with the sarcastic wit. Oh, and the geeking out on books. That, too.

    Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, girl
    I wrote a kids' book blog for years, so I know what you're up to. The closest I'll get to another is quick reviews on Goodreads. I've grown too lazy to write, and too busy reading, I guess. I'm now at a stage where I know I won't live long enough to read everything I want to, but I sure will give it a royal try. I will be interested to see what you write about, as other people's recommends are what keep me going. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. I love hearing recommendations for books to read. In fact, one of the things at the top of my Christmas list this year is a Kindle Paperwhite! So I will definitely be curious to hear your recommendations.

    As for tips. I have been blogging so long, I am surprised that anyone even reads my blog. And maybe no one does, haha. I definitely started out with more of a diary type blog, but have found lately that I tend to stick to more recipes and knitting projects than anything. At least I know my in-laws enjoy reading it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly enough, I write poetry, too, also not usually for sharing. However, I do use some of it in my card-making. I am so glad to see you've started blogging and am now following you. Your tastes in material are so similar to mine, and yet different as well. You've introduced me to several authors I may never have tried without your input.

    I'm looking forward to your adventures in blogging.

    ReplyDelete